Friday, May 8, 2009

WORK!!???!!

Hi there!
It's after 10:pm but it's as light as noon. I just now finished "work". It's my job to not only help the tourists (90,000 expected here this summer) but also to know all about the excursions they can take through Princess. That's exhausting! Last night I tried the group ATV geo-treasure trip with bunkhouse dinner after. That's why I didn't write. Somehow I fell right to sleep. Tonight as soon as we finished work some of us were off again to explore another excursion on behalf of the tourists - tonight is was driving ATV's through the hills, meadows and mudholes of interior Alaska - and then another gourmet meal served at the ranchhouse where we could observe Mt. Healy and watch the meadows for moose.
Today the onlywildlife I saw was a fox - they're big up here and RED! Most of my day was in classes and I keep the phone off except at breaks - not a lot of those todayl. Well, there was some other wildlife - the other 16 ATV drivers going like crazy up and down hills and through creeks that day by day become more like rivers. I wore my raingear over my jeans. Good thing. Some of us were smiling and appear to have mud even on our teeth.
I've met people who work here in Alaska all summer and in Hawaii all winter. There are others just like me who have no idea how they lucked into this.
I do know I have the best job ever. There are 10 of us. We're called "Outfitters". Our jobs are pretty cushy. We work HARD but it's GREAT work - making the guest comfortable, making sure everything meets and EXCEEDS expectations - and helping to make their trip to Alaska one of the best times of their lives.
Easy.
Fun.

I might miss writing again soon. There's so much to do! I need to take a bush plane excursion around Mt. McKinley in a couple of days (whew!) and then a jet boat and then a white water trip. Ah, work. work. work.
: )
much love,
barb
Gratifying.

1 comment:

  1. Are you getting opportunities to take phots? I am really anxious to see what it looks like. We saw foxes when we were in
    Australia that were red, but small (harder to find food in the outback). It sound like you have made the right decision. Keep up the blog.

    ReplyDelete