Saturday, May 9, 2009

Prime Rib and bush planes

Hi!
Thanks, Martin - for giving Sally the blog - HI SALLY
I AM homesick. Thank heaven I don't have time to think about it.
I'm studying really hard. We've formed a study group to survive.
There are 20 excursions going out from THIS lodge -just the basics. We need to know such things as:
Denali Jet Boat Fly Fishing - 4-1/2 hours, leaves at 7:15,1:15 and 5:45 - costs $274.
That times 20.
For starters.
I just got back from work. Well, sort of. We worked hard for 8 hours and then back up to the Black Diamond Ranch for a free meal - prime rib, au gratin potatoes, caesar salad, all the wine and beer we could ingest and some more of that fine cranberry cobbler.
Good grief. They're advertising by treating us RIGHT. It's WORKING!~
Tomorrow is still a work day. After work 6 of us will be met by our pilot who will take us on a scenic flight over the summit of Mt. McKinley. Yup - he's advertising - so we'll believe in his excursion.
Seriously, the people here are just plain terrific. I have a new roommate. She's from Louisiana and she is so cold up here - my other roommate moved in with another Alaska girl and they are happy with the heat off and the window open. I visit them - but not for long - brrrrrr!
Our first tourists will arrive May 15. I qualified as a driver today so that I can go down and meet the train and bring guests to our lodge.
Tomorrow is the first day we wear our uniforms. Pressed mine tonight - think I'm all set but it's incredibly late - 11:13. We have dark curtains over our window but it's looking like 4:p.m. outside - not so bright anymore but plenty light. No wild animals sighted by me today. I missed a moose again.
Would you please, please tell Laurie Newton and Maria about this blog. I can't find anything on my computer - not even e-mail addresses and by the time I stop, I'm really too tired to think, certainly too tired to figure this thing out!
I got a nice phone message from her today but I couldn't answer it until it's too late to call back.
Please let me know how everybody is at church. I worry about some of our people there - and hope all are well.
g'nite,
barb
Yes. I am having fun everyday all day long.
I hope you are well and happy and doing great!

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of your flying around MtMcKenley. I am gaining weight just reading your menus. I did send the url to all the church folks I had an address for. I will stop by and make sure Laurie and Maria have the url. We had a good crowd for mother's day at church lots of Mothers, grandmothers and great grandmother. Got to see Wendy's grand daughter, Sophia. What a cutie. I hope you are getting photo of all this stuff, I can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete