Wednesday, May 6, 2009

TRAINING!

Hi!
Long night. My roommate is fun. She's a bus driver. She likes to sleep with the window open and the heat off. I like that too.
I haven't been in Alaska long.
It really got cold last night. I hadn't noticed that she keeps a pile of blankets on her bed. Where'd she get those??? I had
one blanket.
At 3:00 a.m. I got up to hunt for the thermostat and close the window. After putting on socks, a robe over my flannel nightie and a hat, she gave me some more blankets. Ahhhh. Much better.
Class seemed to start quite early today, though.
Breakfast was incredible - and Ididn't cook a thing! Whew!
The lodges are impressive - even with the cloths over all furniture. There are even cloths over the moose heads hanging from the rafters. Some stores still have plywood boards over the windows. It's been a hard winter! In fact, in most of the buildings there is no running water - we have to hike across the central lawns to the one lodge that has functioning restrooms. It snowed four times today - while we watched from inside the classrooms.
Tonight we went for a hike - 8 of us. We found wolf tracks but with 8 of us the kids said we were fine. Evidently so. We're all back.
We were handed a quiz tonight and told we could work individually or help each other. A few of us held our first study group in the rec room and our homework is done - and I think it's perfect. It was so much fun.
It's fun. It's hard. The people are terrific!
g'nite!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to find your letters on your blog. It sounds as though you are already having amazing adventures. We will have to work on getting some photos on the blog. (All in good time.) Keep up the great reporting. Happy mothers day.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb. I love your Blog. I am so glad to hear you are fine.
    You ate reindeer? I had reindeer a couple of times in Norway. I liked it, but felt that Santa Clause was frowning on me.
    Did you hear about Myrna's bird attack. Thank God for the people of our church who pitches in to help.
    I miss you my friend. God's blessings.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete