Sunday, May 24, 2009

The gentle Grizzly, up close and personal!

HI
I've just returned from a WEEKEND - Saturday and Sunday OFF. I may not see that again this summer - but it was simply wonderful.
Didi - there's a new form out and we can REQUEST certain days OFF! You let me know when you can be here and I'll REQUEST some days off, ok? Also, I can request a room - and it's not expensive for me to do it - last night we had two queen size beds, a big room, all the trimmings - ah, the life of the rich - today I'm back here in my "dorm" room - and it's lovely but a few steps back down.
My niece and her two children from Wasilla came for the weekend. Her children are 4 & 11 and have asked to call me "gramma". Whew - that sure felt good - and I did have trouble letting them all go home today. What a weekend we had! I took a nap after they left. Yesterday we went to visit Jeff King's home and kennels - 3x Iditerod Champion - and homesteader. He's old. About 10 years younger than me.
Fabulous family. Three teenage daughters help show the tourists around. The huskies were impressive - all of them - from the big dogs to the pups that were 12 days old.
Then we went to the lodge. There's a trolley that takes people where they want to go on campus - well, we just wanted to ride the trolley - all around and again and again. Then, we found our room - ah. A bottle of wine on the deck after the kids were asleep - and lots of good talk - mmmmm. It's been a long time (10 years) since I've had that much time with my terrific niece.
Today we headed into Denali National Park. I got lots of pictures. My roommate also doesn't know how to post those pictures.
Only the pictures would tell what we saw.
The moose was fairly close and really BIG.
The rabbits and the beaver dams were neat.
The grizzly was right in the middle of the road, facing us. We stopped. He walked toward us. He walked around our car. The last shots I got were out the rear window. I was gettingreally antsy and suggested strongly that we move the car away from the bear. My niece opened her window for better shots. He was really mellow, really beautiful and we're still here to tell about it. I'm glad he came by.
Tomorrow I'm back at work. Then we're off testing out the whitewater rafting available here - most of our "outfitter" team is going - There'll be dry suits. The waters are still only slightly above freezing degrees.
Today and for several days recently, the weather is excellent - today was a balmy 63 degrees and it'll be about 44 degrees overnight - really much warmer than when we arrived.
I wonder who is reading this and really hoping you'll just send a "hi" along -
This is a long way from home from me and I love to hear how everybody is -
Take care,
Barb

1 comment:

  1. It is midnight on Sunday and I just got a chance to sit down and read your latest post. I can't wait for you to get your pictures up. If you need help, call me. I suspect that with all the talent you have there some young genius knows how to do it, if not call me. I would like to know the size of the grizzle, bigger than the car, smaller than a toaster? I tried to find you on Google earth, but it showed 12 different sites. Can you help narrow it down. I would love to go rafting up there it sound wonderful. I will copy off this report for Wednesday night to share at small group. We have had a beautiful memorial day weekend, lovely weather and time to relax.

    ReplyDelete