Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mt McKinleh

Hi
THANK YOU Martin for all your help!!!!
This is my first time back at the computer - and back in my room for a few days. We went to McKinley Princess Lodges down by Talkeetna, a village that spans back 6,000 years - stayed at their lodge and "inspected" that then took the train along the tracks that were built at the turn of the century to get the gold miners to the gold fields - a real feat - amazing to realize that they drove that track across mountains, gulches, even Hurricane Gulch - which, even in good weather takes your breath away. I got a video of us crossing that one.
We saw moose and hundreds of beaver dams, swans, a porcupine and lots more dall sheep - even one tiny lamb standing on nearly vertical rock by his mother - oh, and a black bear cub - bouncing around, afraid of the train??!!?? but we never saw the mother. Just as well, I suppose.
Fairbanks is the second largest town in Alaska and the top half is surrounded by the Tenana River which has flooded villages as the ice breaks up and gets jammed. Many have been evaculated and are staying in Fairbanks. We stayed there at the Princess Lodge - very nice, of course. When we're home we don't stay in the tourist cabins - we have a dorm very simple, very comfortable.
While we were gone, it snowed MORE - so the mountains around here are c9oered in snow again.
We ate meals on the train - very nice dining accommodatio9ns - I don't know how they d9 that -
the train bounces around - Can you imagine cooking and serving gourmet meals while keeping your balance? Not me.
Sorry this is disjointed. I just want to remember and time is rushing past. I have a cold and need to have it allgone by tomorrow when 400 guests arrive! This is the first day off we've had since I arrived. I meant to sleep most of the time but instead I took the helicopter ride to sightsee over the mountains this morning - saw a moose lying on the ground. Then took the Denali Sky tour and visited Mt. McKinley - up close and personal. I can't believe how well we could see everything. There are two peaks - the North one is higher. So many stories to try to remember. We watched the climbers climb up the glaciers, flew over their base 1 and 2 stations, saw their bush plane sitting on the glacier - good grief.
It was terrific - everyone in our bush plane loved it. So glad I went in this plane. Three people in the other plance had a much less enjoyable trip - and so those who are not inclined to airsickness had their trips somewhat affected by those who don't enjoy that -
The flights will remain free
to us = so long as we tip - so people can go again. I intend to go again! The flights cost $400 so even at free a tip strains my budget - but sure is worth it!
Please tell me more about the birds in Myrna's chimney - what on earth happened? HOW MANY BIRDS?
Thanks for keeping me posted. I loved that several went to help her - what a disaster (and what an

adventure!>)
This journal is falling apart today - I'm too tired to write but there's so much here to remember.
love,
Barb

1 comment:

  1. Trudy helped me to find away to print out your blogs and we will deliver them to your mom so she can keep up.

    ReplyDelete