Friday, June 12, 2009

Mosquitoes are here!

Hi!
First - a bit of news. Our internet is sporadic at best. I can't open e-mails often. That's when there IS internet. Also, cell phone coverage is intermittent. Oneof our Parenting Time families called here today to let me know they needed to get hold of Madeleine right away. Our call failed within seconds. I called and tried to leave a message for Madeleine. I think it went through but am not sure - Sometimes when I see that someone has sent an e-mail I'll call to find out what it said (since it wouldn't open).
Of course, I can't always call.
The other news is that sometimes both the internet and the phone are working!!
Martin & Trudy - Thank you again for this blog.
God has funny little miracles that are easy to see but hard to communicate. For some reason, if the internet works -at all - the blog does. And there some of you are - even with pictures! When I get a tad homesick, I look at your pictures. Thanks. It gives me the chance to journal and to hear from some of you sometimes - and that's GREAT for me. I very much look forward to hearing from any of you!
Today is almost a day off. I've slept in and still have hours before work! (11-8 today - EASY!)
About those mosquitoes:
I'd forgotten how large they are. They weren't out last week. We hiked two days ago and there they were - ready and huge. Now, in addition to my water bottle, tiny first aid kit and bear spray, bell and survival blanket, there is bug spray in the pack I carry with me at almost all times.
I was embarrassed about the following story and had decided NOT to tell you about it.
However, the story is now known by people from Switzerland and Australia to Great Britain, so I suppose it's not a secret anymore.
After work two days ago, Stanna (from Alabama) and I rode the shuttle into the park and headed off on the Horseshoe Lake Trail again. It's a simple, lovely trail where we'd seen moose and beaver lodges before. This time we saw new wildlife: mosquitoes! (and a swan)
We met people who had just seen a moose nursing her new calf. We were excited to sneak in further and see them too. As we were watching the pair, some kind of landslide started - it was really loud and we weren't even sure what it was - thought it might be an animal rushing at us - so we each hid behind a tree. More hikers came and went into hiding too - very hard to figure out what was happening, what the noise was! The moose and her calf became very agitated also. After a while, there were at least 5 people hiding behind trees and nothing was happening. So....I sneaked out from behind my tree. I told the others that I was sure the moose and her calf had left the area. I came into the clearing and could not see the mother. Suddenly Stanna motioned wildly to my left and urged me back. There on my left, in the tall grass were the calf's ears poking up just a bit. I had a pretty terrible feeling that the mother was much, much nearer than I'd thought. I backed slowly and resumed my position hiding behind my tree.
The mother moose was terribly agitated and we saw the pair rather closely a few more times as we all tried to get out of that area. I wouldn't call our exit "hiking" - we must have looked ridiculous moving quickly from tree to tree. On the way, we reminded each other how much fun this would be to remember IF we got out ok.
We DID!
Then at work yesterday, a couple from Switzerland came to ask me a question. Many plan to go hiking and I'm always giving basic hiking and safety information. This couple's first question: How do they protect themselves from getting in the way of a moose and her calf - I started to answer and then saw Stanna - having a laughing fit.
So Stanna enjoyed her day periodically sending couples from around the world to ask for information on moose safety.
She's a great friend and hiking partner and there is much summer left. Revenge will be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment