Sunday, June 7, 2009

the moose calf

There's so much to remember and to tell but I have to be back at work early - gettingup at 5:30 to be there on time!~
Today was my day off!
I started to sleep in and then realized that if Ididn't get up I'd miss my trip into the park. 15 minutes later I was on the bus - We went 66 miles into Denali Park.
The story I want to remember involves a moose and her calf. We first watched them coming to a glacial stream. They crossed - but the the moose kept going back and forth. Finally we realized that the calf was not strong enough to climb back out of the swift icy stream. The calf lost it's footing repeatedly and was swept partly downstream. The driver reminded us that it was not appropriate or even safe to think about rescuing the calf - that it was the way of nature.

I thought the calf was gone - the water is so cold - the driver warned that it would be over shortly. Then the mother stood directly above the calf, and she somehow eased the current in just the right spot and the calf gave one final jump - onto LAND!!!!
There was lots more -
but if I only remember one scene from today,
that's it, hands down.

4 comments:

  1. Barb,
    I am trying to send you an email and it keeps coming back rejected. Need to get ahold of you. Thanks,
    Didi

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heroic story. I was immediately reminded of William Stafford's poem "Traveling Through the Dark" which has a more tragic ending but speaks to the theme of the harsh realities of life and death in nature. It also reminded me of a time our family was traveling to Bend across the Santiam Pass. A female elk cross hwy 20 just in front of us and as we slow to allow her to cross, an elk calf emerged from the forsest. we pause to allow it to cross, but it just stood there. The mom disappered in to the wooods on the other side. Stupidly we got out and tried to herd the elk calf across the road. He would go half way across then return to the road side. Evenually we saw that we were causing a major road block and we abandoned our effors. In retrospect it would have been better if we had left them alone.
    I hope you have gotten my email. We are having problems with sending you email. The address in your earlier post gets the email returned. Can you repost your email address in your next post.
    We miss you, but really enjoy your stories and remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying as I read this. What a wonderful story. I'm glad you got to see it be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin lined me out on the email. Hopefully you have received the two I sent.
    Didi

    ReplyDelete