Monday, August 24, 2009

FOUND

They are found, spent some time at the clinic - were very, very hungry and are HOME here with the rest of us. I don't know much more - except there is quite a bit of trouble - it's not looked upon lightly to go out and get lost and use up all that trooper and search time --- I hope they can keep their jobs until the end of the season.
I've hugged Don and let him know how happy I am that he is ok....more later - right now I think they're dazed and tired - and realizing that they're in trouble with the powers that be.
not by me.
I'm just so glad they made it!!!!!
Here's the blog I wrote last night when there was no internet.

It’s 7pm. Don and his friend are still missing. Planes are going over the area and searches are underway. They did call off the helicopters. Too bad of weather. The people at the front desk just want people to stop asking about the lost boys. My friend and I talked to a trooper who told us that their packs were found next to the river – the box lunches were there – uneaten. The tent poles were in the packs. Some other, more experienced hikers had met Don and his friend, Jackal – an oriental who also worked in the kitchen. The experienced hikers assured us that they had accompanied Don and partner to the bus – that they had successfully crossed the river and then re-crossed on the way home. The experienced hikers decided to camp for the night but Don and friend told them they needed to get back and continued on their way in spite of oncoming dark hours. It may be my imagination, but we are quiet here in the homestead tonight. There is not the laughter. Everything seems subdued. There’s a computer-generated notice on the front door and on the desk – advising that it is not permissible or appropriate for others to go searching for the lost pair – that already there are efforts being made by search and rescue teams and any others in the field will only further stress the rescue efforts.
I went ahead with my day off. A friend and I hiked – very briefly and then joined the covered wagon adventure with dinner at the bunkhouse. On the road we discovered bear tracks, again very, very fresh. I took pictures of the tracks. It continues rainy and chilly outside. There’s no internet but it feels better to talk about it and record it and remember and ask from prayers and hope. Then, if there is a bit of time with internet I’ll cut and paste this.
People talk about the 18 wolf packs that live here. Others talk about the bears. People at the front desk sit here and talk about tempers and fears and concerns that this is getting deadly serious. I fear for young kids who think that everything will be ok and set themselves up for horrific accidents.

1 comment:

  1. Barb,
    Still summer here, Alaska is such a different place but still America. We can go off and have adventures and experience all that brings wisdom. Thank you so much for your observations.
    Merlin

    ReplyDelete