Friday, September 11, 2009

Bits & Pieces











Today is my last day off. It's been a great summer for me. I think I'm stronger than I was before. I hope so. I've learned a lot about Alaska, about people and about myself this summer. That's a pretty good return on the investment. I always ask if anybody would just e-mail and say hi but nevermind. I just can't open any email anymore. Once in a while I can send a short message - but not much. The strangest things happen. Just now a message popped up from Laura D! It was nice - but I don't even know where it came from and could not respond. I don't think it was instant messaging - but it seemed new - just couldn't answer it. Anyway, nice to hear from her!! I called my credit union today to transfer some funds. Got clear through the call without a disconnect. Lately that is rare. I've heard it's because of the cloudcover. Whenever there are clouds, our phone reception gets tricky.





It truly has been a great summer - really!



Aha! Well, so much for my first day to do NOTHING!

I 've just received a call from my manager. I guess I didn't mention that we have had a sewer failur at our housing - last night it was pretty awful - but today it smells great again. I thought that the plan B was no longer in effect - but it IS. I'm to move out of my dorm housing and move to Room 361 at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge for the remainder of my stay here. OK! I can do that - I was starting to get packed anyway. I will no longer have the 10 mile commute to work and I'll have to use the hotel dining facilities for many of my meals. Ahhh, life is tough : )

I won't have daily maid service, however.

hee hee.

That would have been intrusive though. I suppose I can continue to pick up after myself even at Denali Wilderness Lodge.


The pictures, before I go:

First picture is grizzly bear scat on the trail above Eielson Center. It looked like blueberry pie filling. It was a bit too fresh.

The next picture is proof that my friend and I climbed the entire trail. It was WINDY up there! (and steep!) The third picture is of Eielson Center. In the background you can see the foothills to Mt. McKinley. I wasn't thinking about Mt. McKinley - I should have gotten that in the picture. I was only thinking of how far down our point of origin was!! I tried to add one final picture here below but now it's the first picture - Mt. McKinley as seen from our trail that day.
Take care
Not sure when or if I'll have internet connection again.
If you've been reading along sometimes, it has helped me to log this stuff.
It's been a fine summer.
I miss my home, my friends, my life in Oregon.
I'll also miss Denali.
Love,
Barb








1 comment: