Saturday, July 4, 2009

Janet

Sometimes things go along smoothly.
Sometimes things change on a dime.
And they stay changed and everything after is different from anything that came before.
My sister Jan's illness is progressing quickly - more quickly than any of us could have imagined.
It's difficult for her to talk. It's hard to understand.
The doctors have told her that there is no chance of recovery.
She wants to go "home" - where she grew up. Hospice will start immediately. I'm sitting in the Anchorage airport. waiting 6 hours for the next plane to Portland. Laurie will pick me up at 5:30AM tomorrow. This morning I thought I was headed to work. Before I got there -at Denali.
My supervisors found me a flight. A co-worker drove me to Fairbanks to catch the plane to Anchorage.
I'm coming home.
I want to be home. I want to help. I want my sister to know that she is in the center of a family that loves her.
I want her to be comfortable and unafraid.

3 comments:

  1. Your last 2 sentences really touched me. We'll pray for comfort and peace for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for all of you--and wishing we could give you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. If there is anything I can do, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete